In partnership with the World Avocado Organization, Avocados from Peru closed out it’s 2018 marketing campaigns with Avoween inspired recipes and images.
Washington, D.C., October 19, 2018 – This season, Peru reached record-breaking sales numbers by exporting over 726 million pounds of avocados worldwide, of which 182 million pounds were shipped to the United States. Peru is the second largest exporter of avocados in the world, the second largest supplier to the U.S., and the largest supplier to Europe. Avocados from Peru (AFP) supported this significant distribution through various strategic and unique retail, trade and consumer marketing activations that proved to be essential components to this season’s success.
“This was a season of firsts for us,” said Xavier Equihua, President & CEO of the Peruvian Avocado Commission. “We conducted over 10,000 demos nationwide in Walmart, Costco and Sam’s Club in 60 days, launched the first partnership between two superfoods (Peruvian Avocados and California Walnuts), aired the first ever avocado TV spots during the World Cup and Major League Baseball All-Star Games, launched the first “Peru at the Zoo” activation at the Maryland Zoo and introduced Cuzco, Avocados from Peru’s new mascot.”
This season’s robust marketing campaigns spanned across all channels including social, digital, radio, broadcast, mobile, print, retail initiatives and consumer activations –all pointing to the quality, taste, nutritional benefits, and versatility of Peruvian avocados.
Avocados from Peru Completes 10,000 Demos in 60 Days & Participates in Walmart’s Wellness Week
Avocados from Peru completed 10,000 demos in 60 days at Walmart, Costco and Sam’s Club’s nationwide –a record-breaking number for the category. AFP also participated in this year’s Walmart Wellness Week, the largest health event in the world. Peruvian avocados are the only produce items to ever be included in this prestigious event and contributed demos at 997 locations throughout the week and served a consumer favorite recipe –Avocado, Walnut and Peach Salad.
First Ever Avocados from Peru and California Walnuts Superfood Demos
This season, consumers had the opportunity to taste and see the versatility of both Peruvian Avocados and California Walnuts in a first ever superfood demo collaboration at Costco, Sam’s Club and Walmart. The activations were supported by both demo partners through social, digital, PR, geo-targeting and website landing pages.
First Ever Avocado Sponsorship at World Cup and MLB All Star Games
This year AFP became the first in its category to sponsor two of the world’s most prominent athletic events –The World Cup and the MLB All Star Games. AFP ran TV spots celebrating World Avocado Month during the games as well as on morning and evening news programs. This initiative was also supported through digital and social promotions in partnership with Fox 5.
First Ever Produce Item to Partner with CBS and New York Yankees Baseball
AFP partnered with CBS to bring the ‘Avo-Dog’ promotion to one of the nation’s most iconic baseball parks over Labor Day weekend, offering baseball fans a free topping of Peruvian avocado with the purchase of any food item during the New York Yankees vs. Oakland Athletics games at Yankee Stadium in Bronx, New York.
First Ever “Peru at the Zoo”
To further showcase the nutritional benefits of Peruvian Avocados, AFP partnered with the Baltimore, Maryland Zoo to launch “Peru at the Zoo” which included Peruvian avocados served at all food outlets inside the park and various AFP branded signage around the zoo. AFP also sponsored radio spots and social media giveaways, which offered 75 free admission tickets to “Peru at the Zoo.”
First Ever Avocado Mascot, Cuzco the Avocado
Given AFP’s increased consumer engagement on social media, AFP launched their new brand mascot, Cuzco the Avocado. The mascot added a playful, yet stylish presence to the AFP digital marketing initiatives this year and will continue to be an integral part of upcoming 2019 digital campaigns.
More Highlights of the 2018 Season Include:
- AFP kicked off Father’s Day weekend by treating baseball fans to a free topping of fresh Peruvian Avocado with the purchase of an Oriole dog during the Baltimore Orioles vs. Miami Marlins game in Oriole Park at Camden Yards. This activation was supported with radio spots on CBS radio, which reached over 60% of the Baltimore market and generated over 600K impressions across AFP and CBS radio social platforms.
- AFP took over the bus and truck wraps of several American cities including Washington D.C and Philadelphia.
- Continued partnership with brand ambassadors Peruvian Brothers, Peruvian Chef Martin Morales and food stylist firm, Fooddeco. AFP also ventured into a new brand ambassador partnership with Chef Patrick Drake, HelloFresh Head Chef.
- AFP participated in an Independence Day reception at the Peruvian Embassy in Washington D.C. celebrating the 197th anniversary of the independence of Peru. AFP provided gift bags, which included Peruvian avocados and Cuzco stickers within a custom made avocado-ripening bag.
- AFP featured ‘Better Breakfast Recipes’ on the nationally syndicated TV shows, Daytime and The Lifestyle List, reaching over 114M households in 210 markets and generating over 6 million impressions.
- Regional advertising campaign in exclusive publications including Vogue, Vanity Fair and Women’s Health co-branded with retailer tags. AFP also advertised in trade print and digital publications.
- Radio spots on Pandora and Spotify and local radio stations in Texas.
- AFP co-sponsored the Peru Pavilion at the 2018 Produce Marketing Association (PMA) Fresh Summit Convention and Expo in Orlando, Florida.
AFP’s marketing efforts reflect the organization’s commitment to supplying the U.S. with top-quality fruit during the summer season. Avocados from Peru, Peru’s most popular superfood and America’s favorite summer avocado, are looking forward to planning another exciting and impactful marketing strategy for the upcoming 2019 season.
About the Peruvian Avocado Commission
The Peruvian Avocado Commission (PAC) is headquartered in Washington, D.C. It was established in 2011 to increase the consumption/demand for Avocados from Peru through advertising, retail promotion and public relations. The PAC’s promotional activities are conducted under the guidelines of the Federal Promotion Program for Hass Avocados, which is under the oversight of the U.S. Department of Agriculture.