Avocados from Peru Closes Successful 2016 Export Season
After an active and prosperous 2016, Avocados from Peru looks forward to 2017
Washington, D.C., October 17, 2016 – Avocados from Peru is pleased to announce the close of a successful 2016 export season that saw continued growth in demand for Peruvian avocados, the launch of both the world’s first international superfoods brand and a new worldwide cooperative marketing initiative, and official recognition of avocados’ health benefits from the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
“We are extremely excited by the success that Avocados from Peru saw during the world-wide 2016 season,” said Xavier Equihua, President and CEO of the Peruvian Avocado Commission. “We hope to build off of our momentum from 2016, especially in continuing to spread news regarding the health benefits of Peruvian avocados through the new Superfoods from Peru brand, and look forward to a more robust crop and marketing season in 2017.”
In addition to its successful export growth, Avocados from Peru joined together with Blueberries from Peru to form the first international superfoods brand – Superfoods from Peru. Launched during the 5thannual Peru to the World Expo in New York City, which was attended by Guest of Honor Peruvian President Pedro Pablo Kuczynski, the new brand will work to promote the health benefits of Peruvian superfoods – a plethora of products such as avocados, blueberries, pomegranates, and many others – and continue the growth of superfood markets around the world.
Avocados from Peru was also a proponent for the creation of the World Avocado Organization – a partnership between Brazil, Mexico, Peru, South Africa, and the United States. This new non-profit marketing enterprise will work to enhance existing avocado markets in order to raise awareness regarding the benefits of avocados in emerging health conscious markets such as the United Kingdom, the European Union, and Asia.
Capping off the 2016 launch of the Superfoods from Peru brand, the FDA announced new guidelines that allow manufacturers to categorize foods containing certain good fats as “healthy” – thereby officially recognizing the benefits of monosaturated fats that have long made avocados a go-to nutritional source for health conscious consumers.
Avocados from Peru remains committed to supplying the United States with top-quality fruit and is excited to exceed the 2016 season by dramatically increasing its export to the US market in 2017.
2016 Season Highlights:
- 2016 Season Kick-Off Event: Service men and women onboard the USS Bataan in New York City, were served a superfood breakfast during Fleet Week during Memorial Day weekend.
- The 5th Annual Peru to the World Expo: Headlined by Guest of Honor Peruvian President Pedro Pablo Kuczynski, this celebration of Peruvian culture and culinary expertise also served as the launch event for the newly created international “Superfoods from Peru” brand which brings together Avocados from Peru and Blueberries from Peru under a unified banner.
- Avocados from Peru received a Decoration of Merit: On June 21st, the Peruvian government recognized Avocados from Peru for its work to promote and advance done Peruvian agricultural trade. USDA was also recognized for its work in fortifying U.S.-Peru agricultural trade.
- FDA Issued Revised Guidelines for ‘Healthy’ Categorization: The U.S. Food and Drug Administration updated guidelines for manufacturers wishing to categorize their foods as ‘healthy’, stating that certain good fats now fall within this categorization. As such, avocados, which are high in monosaturated fats, can be officially marketed for the health benefits they have long provided.
- The World Avocado Organization was Established: A partnership between Brazil, Mexico, Peru, South Africa, and the United States that will work to enhance existing avocado markets and promote the development of new health conscious markets around the globe.
About the Peruvian Avocado Commission:
The Peruvian Avocado Commission (PAC) is headquartered in Washington, D.C. It was established in 2011 to increase the consumption/demand for Avocados from Peru through advertising, retail promotion and public relations. The PAC’s promotional activities are conducted under the guidelines of the Federal Promotion Program for Hass Avocados, which is under the oversight of the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
For more information about the PAC please visit www.avocadosfromperu.com or email [email protected] or call 202 607-0560.